Monday, March 22, 2004

"Working from home" (people always do the sign for speechmarks to suggest It's not really working)

If your boss ever offers you the chance to work from home, bite their hand off. Or just say Yes if you think they might need both their hands in the future. I write for an internet magazine, so I've known for a long time that there are certain things you can do anywhere as long as you have a net connection. More importantly, I've known I could do my job anywhere.


So when they reorganised our office at work, they asked  if anyone fancied 'hotdesking', which I took to be some kind of Dilbert managment-speak for staying at home a few days a week. In the end I got to keep my desk at work, so I can still go in whenever I feel like it. But why the hell would I want to?


I mean, let's start with the journey to work itself.

Option 1, work from home - which means I can roll out of bed at 9.55am and still be on time. I'm not exactly known for my good timekeeping, so this is a real bonus.
Option 2, travel to work on the tube - which means being up at 8.30am to get washed and dressed and then rubbing your arse against lots of strangers. I realise that can be fun if you're a bit of deviant, but I don't get my rocks off that way.


Then there's actually doing the work.
Option 1, try and get through my 8-10 page workload while being bothered by the boss, the phone, or the enormous jabbering Aussie who sits next to me showering me with verbal diarrhoea.
Option 2, bung something chilled on the CD player and get on with it. Without the constant interruptions I can wade through the workload at about one-and-a-half times my normal speed. (If my boss is reading this I obviously spend the extra time on research to help me do my job. At no point am I using it to wade through DVD boxsets of the Sopranos, that would just be wrong )


I have to admit it's nice to go into the office and see the people there, but then I've got the best of both worlds since I still have that option. At the moment I've got the journey into work down to two days a week, which seems a good balance. And since one of those days is generally a Friday and we spend a lot of that in the pub playing pool, I can't really complain. As I'm getting increasingly fond of saying, 'Life is good'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home