Tuesday, July 12, 2005

POKER: King's Cross poker

Here's Renier's report from his poker game on Friday night. For me this is the best game in town, as I can get the bus outside work to King's Cross, I can get the tube home if I leave early enough or I can bundle on the nightbus that leaves from Renier's street if I decide to stay for a late one. No £40 taxi from Acton with this game! Throw in a genial host (unless he's scraping up your chips, when he can't help having a friendly dig) and this is a great venue for me. Plus, I used to be able to win or at least get in the money here - which is how I got on the 7-2offsuit leaderboard in the first place. If only Renier would return the 'lucky chip' he's holding hostage, maybe I could be great again...
Anyway, onto the game:

Well, this turned out to be quite an interesting evening, with all the re-raising going on. First of all, a welcome to newcomers Anthony aka Tony, and David aka Another Dave. Hoped you guys enjoyed yourselves.

Tournament:


1st: Dom
2nd: Renier
3rd: Dave P
4th: Dave W

The regular two-hour holdem tournament game turned into a hard four-hour match, with the tightness of play not being deterred by the 20 minute blinds. All be it, the first of the eight runners trotted themselves out of contention relatively early.

Dave P should be deemed the man-o-the-hour because of his 275 chip comeback to third position. Dave W was well not impressed as he was flopped into the bubble due to a sure stroke of, erm, luck!

The HU game didn’t last too long as both players started with approximately the same. A mere few hands into the game, both me and Dom did our little check check to salute a flop.

The flop read: 4 6 2

Not too shabby since I have a pair, lower pair and not liking the way the hand was played, I check it to Dom, who curiously checks right back at me.

The Turn was a 5……and bells chimed as my pair turned into a straight. When Dom bet at it, what could I do but to re-raise him, only for the all-in of all-in’s.

The board read: 4 6 2 – 5. I turned over my 3-4 only to be stumped by Dom’s 3-7, yup, an even better straight than my own.

With limited outs, an 8 came on the river, to make Dom’s hand even better.

Now as if that wasn’t the worst thing ever, I decide to go all-in with my 400 or so remaining chips. I had rags, Dom having K10, flopps a FH with KK10, or was it K1010, didn’t matter at the time since all I could do is sit back and wonder where it all went. It was a great game Dom, I’ll get a JJ on the river sometime to make it even between us!

Cash Game:


I must say this was probably one of the wildest cash games I have ever seen. With Dave W’s 2-4os taking down a few pots.

One remarkable hand from Matt was his better straight flush[incidentally, this was my first ever straight flush in a live game! - Matt]. I do not recall too much of this, but I do know Matt made quite a play to make me wonder if I was being had. Well played Matt, I would have hated the lay down if it wasn’t for the showing in the end. GG

The biggest pot of the evening went to yours truly, scoring around £30 from Dave P and John. Let’s see how this was played. Please note that I cannot remember the exact cards in the board, but you will get the idea.

In mid to late position, I raise the pot by a memorable Vince 300, for which I received not much respect from Dave P, nor John. My As3s suited didn’t look all that good.

The flop read: Ah 4s 6s

Felt better about my hand, and was quite comfortable to put in a pretty large bet, only to be all-inned by John and then also called by Dave P. I had a draw to the nuts, so I called it quite comfortably.

The turn was a 5h. Now fair enough, this was not the card I hoped for, and after a nice all-in from John, my modest call and Dave’s smacktalk did make me wonder what was a goin on.

Now on evaluating the board, pre Dave’s bet, I could see I have a gutshot straight draw, flush draw, high pair (never mind my kicker), so I thought to myself, if Dave wants a go, I will give him a run. My a3 could even be good after the long line of nonsence coming outa his mouth:D

Dave announced his all-in with an immediate call from me.

So, on their backs we had John with 9h6h(flush draw) Dave with ac7c and me with my as3s. How interesting. John who had nothing, had a backdoor flush presenting himself, and dave had the higher kicker, which I was pretty sure he had me having a 3, but he could have always tried to make a move with a second best flush, or the straight, both of which I wasn’t scared of having a few fallback outs left.

The river was a 9s, giving me the flush, cracking John, and throwing Dave’s hand out of contention.

With all the money in the pot, committing to another large chunk of Dave’s change wasn’t all that bad an idea. To be honest, a lot of great hands, I just can’t remember to much details of. I know Dave W folded his lower FH to Dave P’s bluff, but whether it be a 9 or J, I don’t know.

Hoped everyone had a good time, thanks to those who attended.

Renier

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home