Sunday, May 15, 2005

DVD Killed the Video Star

Last year the news outlets declared the death of the video recorder when Dixons announced it was to stop stocking them in its stores. It seems the doom-mongers were right for once.

I knew this was coming and had long ago given up bothering to sell single videos on ebay. However, you'd think a small collection of titles could still find a buyer. The latest clear out found me with several videos I now have DVD copies of (the benefits of working on a sci-fi mag). Clumping these four classics-of-their-time together in a single auction, I set the price at a low 29p with £1 postage. Any takers? Not a chance.

I should have known. Recently when we had a clear out at work we sent an all-staff email asking people if they wanted any free videos, as we had about 100 to get rid of. About three people came to look, and I took some of them home to use as blank videos for recording. But there's still a box full sitting at work waiting for a trip to the charity shop. I guess this really is the end for VHS video. Betamax must be rolling with laughter in its grave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home