Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Running Commentary

I haven't mentioned my interest in running on this forum before, but I've now taken part in the Bath Half Marathon and a couple of 10K runs. I'm always nervous before a run - do I have everything I need? Will I be able to get a good starting point? Have I got a spare camera battery in case the first one runs out?

My wife has it easy, all she has to do is run around the course. I try and be supportive when she's taking a breather after finishing, but I've just had to stand up for an hour on the same four inches of pavement with a camera pressed into my cheek. That really takes it out of you.

While my pavement balancing skills keep me relatively in shape, I thought it was probably time to improve my fitness even further. I'm not really interested in competing against other mortals (I already have a medal from the Bath Half Marathon as Jane was given two, but the pictures I took that day were superb so I earned it as much as anyone else did). I do fancy giving the running lark a try, though. Especially as my new trainers - sorry I mean running shoes - feel great and were worth every one of the (eek) £75 I paid for them. That's as long as I use them to run regularly, even if my natural instict is to sit around in them playing poker.

My first attempt at this new lifestyle was Saturday morning. I say attempt, but I went out for 30-40 minutes and ran for at least some of that time, so really it was a success. Besides, you can't expect to run before you walk - or is that a bad metaphor in this situation?

The benefit of having a wife who's obsessed with running is that she can tell you all the tips. So on my return to the house I drank sips of water ("Don't down it") and I did the proper stretches to stop my muscles aching so much the next day. At least that was the plan. Next morning I still felt like I'd been stomped by a crowd of hoodie-wearing kids. I'm sure that will get easier over time. Now where are those running shoes, I fancy a game of No Limit Holdem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home